Wednesday, April 22, 2009

mzungu

that's what they call me. the chidren, that is. it means "white person". this is my second day hanging around the church and when there's nothing for me to do i usually wander around and look for the kids. Even when i'm just standing off in the distance watching them play or am walking past their classroom, the kids start shouting "mzungu! mzungu!" haha, it's funny to me. Some of them run up to me and just stare. I usually get lots of stares on the street too, and some people smile and wave. All because i'm a mzungu. It's a unique experience for me, coming from an ethnic majority to a place where i'm a definite minority. I haven't actually even seen another white person since i've been in Africa. Not even in Dar es Salaam, the big city in Tz. That being said, i dont' ever feel uncomfortable or not accepted by the people here. just different, which is nice. I do know, though, that there is a guy from America working at the church. he's gone for the week so i haven't met him yet, but i'm sure i'll be seeing him alot. and another gal from portland will be joining me for two months this summer, and i'm pretty excited to have her around. well, that's all for now. my brain is slowing down because of lack of sleep!

2 comments:

  1. hebrew! (random: the name "hebrew" applied to the Israelites only by a person who is a foreigner or by the Israelites when they speak of themselves to an outsider.)

    dude I am SO excited for you. I hope you're journaling well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are my best friend for many reasons...just know that. i wont even begin to explain why reading that strikes such gratefulness in my heart, for you.

    ReplyDelete