Tuesday, June 23, 2009

just an observation



Since my arrival in Africa, I have been experiencing life in some totally new and different ways. I really feel like before I came here, I had no concept of how different my thoughts and views and ways of doing life could be from my neighbours just across the globe. But that’s a lot of what brought me to Tanzania, wanting to know those things and see those differences. And they are many. I could spend all day talking about how different everything is here…from hugging, to showering, to family, to working and worshipping. But, at the moment, I only want to talk about one aspect of Africans that I’ve found different – one that I have really loved so far. It’s something I feel we don’t have in America or the West and I can’t be certain why it’s different or what makes a people react one way and another people a different way…


It’s in the singing. I feel like so much of the spirit of Africa is expressed through song. From what I’ve seen of these people, they have an unbelievable ability to endure. It seems like each person’s life story is riddled with struggle, hardship, and suffering. Even in the short amount of time I’ve been here, many of the staff at the church have had close family members or friends die. Many of the kids here are orphans and definitely don’t eat three times a day. The women in the programs at the church, in particular, endure amazing hardships. Most are HIV+ and are extremely poor, have no income, husbands are not around or are abusive, and the list goes on… Despite all these things, they sing. They clap, and dance, and cheer, and smile, and sing. It’s like they have this spirit that refuses to be broken, one which perseveres against all odds. I’m not saying they don’t ever lose hope or get depressed, but their tolerance for such trials and difficulties seems to far outweigh that of the Wests. I can’t help but be reminded of The Who’s in Dr. Seuss’ “How The Grinch Stole Christmas”. It was my favourite Christmas story growing up, and I still love it. At the end of the book, after the Who’s Christmas has been devastated and ruined by the Grinch, they gather in the town square, hold hands, and start singing. Their joy is not marred by their misfortune, it only served to remind them of what is most important; each other.

Three thousand feet up! Up the side of Mt. Crumpit, He rode with his load to the tiptop to dump it! "Pooh-Pooh to the Whos!" he was grinch-ish-ly humming. "They're finding out now that no Christmas is coming!" "They're just waking up! I know just what they'll do!" "Their mouths will hang open a minute or two Then the Whos down in Who-ville will all cry Boo-Hoo!"

"That's a noise," grinned the Grinch, "That I simply MUST hear!" So he paused. And the Grinch put his hand to his ear. And he did hear a sound rising over the snow. It started in low. Then it started to grow...

But the sound wasn't sad! Why, this sound sounded merry! It couldn't be so! But it WAS merry! VERY! He stared down at Who-ville! The Grinch popped his eyes! Then he shook! What he saw was a shocking surprise!

Every Who down in Who-ville, the tall and the small, Was singing! Without any presents at all!

Dr. Seuss seems like a pretty smart dude...of course, this analogy begs the question, "who is the grinch?" hmm not sure...although my heart may have grown a size or two since i came to africa...

No comments:

Post a Comment